Friday, November 6, 2009

The 20 Best Books of the Decade (2000-2009)

This according to Paste Magazine. I. Freaking. Love. Lists. Especially lists involving books, except that they usually make me feel like a slacker. For Paste's commentary, go here. Otherwise, you are about to be subjected to my thoughts:

klosterman.jpg20. Chuck Klosterman: Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story [Scribner] (2005)

Might add this to my list.



gladwell.jpg19. Malcolm Gladwell: The Tipping Point [Little Brown] (2000)

Sounds very interesting.



blue.jpg18. Donald Miller: Blue Like Jazz [Thomas Nelson] (2003)

Not on my list.



carlwilson.jpg17. Carl Wilson: Let’s Talk About Love (A Journey To The End Of Taste) [Continuum] (2007)

Really?? A book about Celine Dion?? Pass.


Netherland cover.jpg16. Joseph O’Neill: Netherland [Vintage] (2008)

Haven't heard of it. Boo for me.




ffnation.jpg15. Eric Schlosser: Fast Food Nation [Houghton Mifflin] (2001)

Not yet. Might be too scared to learn too much.



potter2.jpg14. J.K. Rowling: Harry Potter [Bloomsbury] (1998-2007)

I aspire to read these little ditties someday. But the list before them is entirely too vast right now.



atonement.jpg13. Ian McEwan: Atonement [Nan A. Talese] (2002)

Had this one as an audiobook from the library. Tried to listen a few times, but kept drifting off. Then when my iPod decided to erase all my music, etc., I lost it. Will probably try again someday though.


Slavery by Another Name.jpg12. Doug Blackmon: Slavery By Another Name: The Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II [Doubleday] (2008)

Not really the kind of book I usually read.

MeTalkPrettyOneDay-DavidSedaris.jpg11. David Sedaris: Me Talk Pretty One Day [Little, Brown and Company] (2000)

Hilarious. Loved it. Think about it all the time.



Consider The Lobster cover.jpg10. David Foster Wallace: Consider The Lobster And Other Essays [Little, Brown and Company] (2005)

I guess Last Night at the Lobster doesn't count, huh?!



everything is illuminated cover.jpg9. Jonathan Safran Foer: Everything Is Illuminated [Harper Perennial] (2002)

Don't know it.



THE YEAR OF MAGICAL THINKING cover.jpg8. Joan Didlon: The Year of Magical Thinking [Knopf] (2005)

Sounds really good. Totally my type.



blankets.jpg7. Craig Thompson: Blankets [Top Shelf Productions] (2003)

Possible future list item.




Book Thief cover.jpg6. Markus Zusak: The Book Thief [Knopf] (2005)

I've had my fill of Young Adult novels this year, thank you very much.



Middlesex cover.jpg5. Jeffrey Eugenides: Middlesex [Picador] (2002)

Funny, touching and fabulous!!



gilead cover.jpg4. Marilynne Robinson: Gilead [Farrar, Straus and Giroux] (2004)

Haven't heard of this one either.



The Road cover.jpg3. Cormac McCarthy: The Road [Knopf] (2006)

Faithful readers of Read My Mind! know that I am obsessed with this book. It's also the hardest I ever cried while reading a novel.



heartbreak cover.jpg2. Dave Eggers: A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius [Simon & Schuster] (2000)

List. Added. You're welcome.



Kavalier & Clay cover.jpg1. Michael Chabon: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay [Random House] (2000)

Do I have to read this just because it's #1??



So there you have it. Three. Lame. But I can make myself feel slightly better because these books span all genres and subject matter. Are there any that I haven't read that I simply must? Please weigh in.