Thursday, June 25, 2009

Twilight

by Stephenie Meyer

Yep. I too was sucked in. I feel slightly guilty being dragged into the pop culture phenomenon, but I've talked about pressure before, and I admit I always succumb.

I wasn't super jacked to read the series, mainly because I'm not a sci-fi fan (pronounced "skiffy" by my dad and me), but everyone kept telling me it was more about the love story than anything else. I ignored several recommendations until I finally gave in when a coworker read all 4 books in less than a week.

I obviously don't need to include a synopsis here. I don't think there's a person on earth who doesn't know what Twilight is about. But crazily enough, I liked it. The chemistry between Edward and Bella made my heart pound. It was almost tangible and, as my friend described it, it's the constant anticipation of your first kiss. Being written at about the fourth grade level was also a bonus for me; averaging around 100 pages a day. I've never read a book that quickly!

One other comment I have: I really enjoyed Bella's overall independence, but she's also a total goody-goody. Really, at 17, making dinner and doing chores without being asked?? No teenager does that.

So it's for sure. I'm reading the next three without stopping. Stay tuned. And don't judge me.

_______________
* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment