Friday, September 12, 2008

Meme : Pressure

My pal over at Dog Ear Diary had another great meme last week. And since I was just talking about this very topic last night, I had to comment. I also added another twist to the question. What are your thoughts?

Have you ever felt pressured to read something because ‘everyone else’ was reading it? Have you ever given in and read the book(s) in question or do you resist? And if you really don't like the book, do you force yourself to finish it?

I have a terrible, somewhat displaced loyalty to books. Especially when someone recommends one to me. And I actually love to get recommendations from friends. To me that's the best way to add books to my must-read list. If I struggle with one that was suggested for me, I usually force myself to finish just so that I can give an educated review of it to the recommender. I need to stop doing that! There are so, so many books on my list that I shouldn't waste time with one that isn't entertaining me. I need to acknowledge and move on. Period. But what of my loyalty?? I will try harder.


Perfect example: Last night my dear friend was telling me how she is now trying for the second time to get through Bel Canto. She is really struggling, but since it's on my top ten list of favorite books, she feels it necessary to reach the end. She even went as far as to say that she has to force herself to pick it up and read another chapter. I assured her that although I loved Bel Canto, I understand if it isn't her cup of tea. I know some people who also think it's one of the best and still more who can't get through it. Believe me, my feelings aren't hurt if you don't like it. That's what makes us all unique and wonderful : our different tastes in fiction!

And for the record, Bel Canto rates:

* * * * *

3 comments:

  1. I haven't really felt pressured per se ... but even though I have never read it, I do keep a copy of "The Bell Jar" on my nightstand.

    It makes people think I have layers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED Bel Canto which I read because of you. I now recommend it at the bookstore a lot and people usually buy it. I hope they like it too - but I guess I shouldn't worry too much . These random people wouldn't feel pressured to read something because of a mere bookstore employee recommendation - would they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. the corrections. everyone raved about that one. at first, i couldn’t understand what was wrong with me that i couldn’t get through it. but you’re right...life’s too short and there are too many good books out there. that said, i am planning on giving the color purple another try based on a friends urging. i’ll let you know how it works out.

    ReplyDelete