Friday, February 20, 2009

She's Come Undone

Just finished for the fourth time what I can easily say is the best book I ever read. Each time I read it, I love She's Come Undone more and more. Each time I discover something else that I missed or glossed over, and I appreciate the writing even more. Everyone knows what a bold statement "best book ever" is, and some people are too non-committal to even try, but I can say it with confidence.

I was in the mood to pick it up again after I finished the newest Wally Lamb novel. I find his writing to be addicting. And it still amazes me that he wrote such an amazing, poignant book from a woman's point of view! I probably don't need to go into too much detail about the plot since She's Come Undone was released nearly 13 years ago. It's told by Dolores Price, an extremely troubled girl, who has nearly nothing good ever happen in her life. The story follows her from ages four to 40, where she finally begins to heal, if only a little bit.

When I am not reading this book, I am thinking about it. I have never read anything else that affected me like this: I always think about Dolores. Probably the best way for me to give a synopsis is to point out the important imagery that is always running through my head long after I put the book down.

1. Roast Beef
2. Jukebox
3. Whales
4. Feet
5. Painting
6. TV
7. Dante
8. Rape
9. Etch-a-Sketch
10. Toll Booth

Is that tempting enough? Do yourself a favor and read it NOW. I'm sure I will pick it up again in a few years.


___________
* * * * *

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, I'm in Lakewood, too and just came across your blog. You might be interested in a couple of literary things...

    On LakewoodBuzz.com, there's an interview with NPR's book commentator Nancy Pearl, who's also coming to Cleveland next month.

    Also, I have a couple of new groups I've organized... Ohio Writers Retreats (dotcom) and Friday 13th Poets (dotcom).

    My favorite authors and poets are Philip Roth, Leonard Cohen, e. e. cummings, Seth Godin, Ogden Nash, and Andy Rooney.

    Now that I've discovered your blog, which I like, I'll check into read.

    All the Best,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Steve! Hopefully my blog will interest you...I am pretty much a fiction novel girl :)

    I will definitely check out the sites you recommended.

    ReplyDelete