Saturday, August 27, 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child – Parts One and Two

by J.K. Rowling
August 2-16, 2016

I'll take my Harry doses any way I can get them. Even in script form. At first it was hard to flow through stage directions and the usual, comfortable writing style that Rowling has (although she had help on this one), but after a few "chapters" which are really acts, I relaxed and tore through.

There's definitely less of a magical feeling this time around. And Harry isn't the delightful little boy we all grew to love – he's an adult with adult problems and three children. Ron, however, seemed to remain the same goofy kid he always was. With this being a play, there wasn't enough time to take deeper dives into these characters, so for that, it can be disappointing. I definitely liked it, but I wanted more. I felt the story too-quickly wrapped itself into a neat little package. But again, I'll take what I can get about my favorite wizarding world! I bet the play is going to be fantastic. If the authors gave us the depth that we are truly craving, the play would probably be eight hours long.
“Those we love never truly leave us, Harry. There are things that death cannot touch.”
Having said that, the original message from the first seven books remains the same.

* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment