Sunday, August 21, 2016

A Man Called Ove

by Fredrick Backman
June 5-July 3, 2016

Wow, this one took a while to get off the ground. I was warned of this and told to hold out for the payoff, but it was hard to plug away through nearly 70% off the book before I was invested. Normally I would have given up long before then. I'm not sure this is the best formula for a book, but Ove sure has been praised like crazy.

To somehow find joy, laughter and compassion in a plot where the main character's whole goal is to commit suicide doesn't even sound like a sellable premise. But it worked. Though again, the praise for Ove is off the charts. I'm flabbergasted by it. I mean, it was a good book, but people a just gushing. Pleas to vote Ove as character of the year (2015). Predictions that this will be book of the year. I mean, it's not that good. It's not that unique. But it was a good story if you remain patient. For all those who know a "curmudgeon," Ove will probably resonate stronger.

* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment