Thursday, July 30, 2015

TransAtlantic

by Colum McCann
March-May 2015

I'm going to keep this one short and sweet because it's been eons since I finished TransAtlantic and I don't have anything intelligent to say about it. I have to admit I didn't give this book my full attention. I listened to it while driving, spring cleaning and doing yard work. Having said that though, I truly appreciate McCann's writing. It's like listening to a bedtime story. His words, they soothe.

"We seldom know what echo our actions will find, but our stories will most certainly outlast us.”

See? Poetry. Much like Let the Great World Spin, this story weaves between past and present, non-linearly, magically tying together each character in an 'aha!' way. I wasn't familiar with any of these historical figures or events, so I know I missed out on quite a lot. I can't help but wonder though, that if the story was more gripping, would I have paid much more attention? Entirely better and more comprehensive reviews can be found on Goodreads.

* * * * *


No comments:

Post a Comment