Thursday, July 9, 2009

Eclipse

by Stephenie Meyer

I'm definitely on vampire overload. These books have been consuming my days like no others. And for me, it's not even like they are that good, but I still can't help but be intrigued as to what comes next. For the love of God, will someone please change Bella already?!?!

It's at this point where Bella is on my last nerve. Although she is obviously not real, has there EVER been a bigger martyr than her?? Seriously, she needs to get over herself. All the woe-is-me that every single thing that happens is her fault is making me want to punch her. Wow, it's a little crazy that I feel this strongly over a freaking vampire book!

I just think that maybe these books are getting a little long and Meyer may be milking every word for the benefit of her teenage readers. Because I personally think that Jacob is a whiny brat and have no idea why Bella even loves him in the first place. And I really wish that these books were written on a more adult level. I want good, juicy love scenes. I think we deserve it after three books! But alas, we get nothing.

But again, I still find a need to keep going and see what happens next. And seriously, who doesn't freaking l-o-v-e Edward?? I have a picture of him in my mind, but I still want to see him in person. And I want to feel this marble skin that Bella is always talking about. Obsessive, I know. It's what holds my interest.

Lastly, I really like how Meyer works the title of the book into each story. And this one really hit me and made me appreciate the poignancy of the characters' relationships:

"'He's like a drug for you, Bella.' His voice was still and gentle, not at all critical ... 'But I would have been healthier for you. Not a drug; I would have been the air, the sun.' (Jacob)

... 'I used to think of you that way, you know. Like the sun. My personal sun. You balanced out the clouds nicely for me.' (Bella)

He sighed. 'The clouds I can handle. But I can't fight with an eclipse.'

Oooh, I love that! Edward is my eclipse. And I'm not too proud to say it.

_______________
* * * * *

1 comment:

  1. i'll need to read these next. everyone is talking about it.

    ReplyDelete