Sunday, April 8, 2018

Paris in the Present Tense

by Mark Helprin
March 14-April 5, 2018

What a delightful book! I love all things France, and with that add incredibly intelligent dialogue, and I'm hooked.

Jules is a 74-year old man who has a LOT going on in his life. And now he's got to make sure his family is taken care of and that certain people get what's coming to them before he makes a graceful exit. While some parts tended to drag and get a little overdone, the rest was so good that it made up for the lag. It's been a while since I've read dialogue that can make me laugh out loud.
"He couldn't resist adding, in English, 'I'm having a whale time.'
 Arnaud, whose English was only elementary, thought that whatever the reference to a whale, it was very sophisticated. '...Why are you having fun like a whale?'"
Taken in context, this was very funny. Jules could literally outsmart anyone with his words. And yet, he was poetic and poignant too.
"Quite simply, and make of it what you will: music is the voice of God."
With all that happened throughout the book I worried that it might fall apart at the end. I held my breath and hoped for a satisfying conclusion. I got it. It was as though the gates of heaven opened up, the light shined brightly and the characters faded out.

* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment