Sunday, February 25, 2018

All is Not Forgotten

by Wendy Walker
Feb 10-22, 2018

I'm not actually sure how this one got on my radar. It's from 2016 and although I read pretty slow, I try to stay as current as possible. I am not at all a fan of thriller/suspense novels either. But the psychological aspect of this one piqued my interest.

I enjoyed the passive voice of the narrator from the outside looking in. Then I realized what a narcissist he was an I began to like him less. I understand the mentality of doing anything to protect your family, but to do so with a holier-than-thou attitude became a bit much.

I also understand the need to drive the point of the brutality of rape to the forefront, but the graphic way in which it was told was nearly unbearable. Reading about such horrific acts in so much detail is not the least bit enjoyable.

The way the characters all became woven together was satisfying and well developed – until it became a little too convenient. Any woman reading about a brutal rape is naturally going to want to see justice for the rapist, and we just didn't get that here.

Overall though, it was a quick read that did offer a decent amount of suspense. Just not the genre that I would normally choose.

* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment