Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt

by Beth Hoffman
Apr 1 - 18, 2011


Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A NovelAfter a pretty long string of heavy reading, this was a welcome breath of fresh air! My mom and her cousins exchange books every Christmas, so this one came to me with the Mom-Seal-of-Approval. While I don't always think we share the same taste in books, I can count on my mom for the "charming" variety.

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt is reminiscent of the Ya-Ya's. And who doesn't love a good Ya-Ya tale?! CeeCee is a 12-year old with a mentally unstable, former beauty queen mother and a father who honestly could care less about his daughter. When her mother is killed (by an ice cream truck no less), CeeCee is sent to live with an eccentric aunt in Georgia. There she forms friendships with many adult women who each have something unique to offer. And while some parts of the story have the potential to become stressful (CeeCee and her aunt's housekeeper get robbed at gunpoint), Hoffman has a way of working them out before the reader even has a chance to worry. Overall, the story of how CeeCee is saved is calm, soothing and delightful.
"Her laughter was a wondrous, liquid thing that splashed across my face, over the toes of my shoes, and into the grass." 
Throw in a few life lessons, and you have a great quick read.
"It's what we believe about ourselves that determines how others see us."

I love that last quote a lot. I need to incorporate that thought into my own life.











_______________
* * * * *

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy ... thanks so much for your kind words about CeeCee's story. I'm delighted that you enjoyed my novel and appreciate your lovely review!

    ReplyDelete