Friday, May 2, 2008

The Letter Chronicles

A friend of mine had asked me to read this blog a while back because it contained a great story. "The Anonymous Guy's" entries are chapters of his novel, The Letter Chronicles, and what a clever way for undiscovered authors to get experience and hopefully recognition for their work. He even has earlier entries with other pieces of writing, though I haven't read any of the older posts.

However, this is not my favorite style of fiction. The story is of a young boy, Gordie, who is receiving letters from the future written by his dead grandfather. Each chapter tries to get the reader more scared and anxious about what is to come next, but to be honest, even though I primarily read fiction, this kind of tale is too contrived. I instantly don't believe what I know could not happen in real life and can't seem to get past that fact and just enjoy the book.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a chance! I thought it was important to blog about The Letter Chronicles since it was something that I did read like a book, and it's quite possible that you may disagree with me. One word of warning: the book is not finished. The author stopped at chapter 11 last June and said that it could be his last entry for a while. It only takes about an hour to read though, so give it a shot if you want to experience a new way to read a novel.

1 comment:

  1. Oh goodness...I have about 20 pages left of a very good, quick read...The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. Have you read it?...would take you 2 days to finish...soooo good! Would like to hear your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete