Sunday, August 18, 2019

The Peacock Feast

by Lisa Gornick
July 23-August 18, 2019

A lot happens in this book. Almost too much in the beginning, and it felt a little disjointed, difficult to follow, then it hit its stride and was engrossing to the finish. Spanning from the early 1900s to present day, I found the mid-century stories to be the ones that kept me coming back for more. While some of the timelines lost a little focus, the successful ones gave a payoff that was completely worth it.

The subtle character development of each of the multiple generations of the family unfolds in both heartbreaking and satisfying ways. The character's relationships with one another are believable and surprising. The plot was a bit of a slow burn, but one that I didn't predict. I love that. While I think that it could use some editing and cleaning up of the presentation of facts, I was deeply moved by the ripple effect one action can have on future generations. A unique and original concept that takes just a bit of patience.

* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment