Friday, August 30, 2019

The Lost Vintage

by Ann Mah
July 22-August 25, 2019

The Lost Vintage wasn't on my radar until a friend recommended it. I am feeling very behind on my to-be-read list, and I try to stay with books released in the present year and not go too far back. But when I looked up the audiobook version and saw that it was narrated by Saskia Maarleveld, I was all in. I also hadn't listened to an audiobook that wasn't somehow related to The All Souls World in a couple of years (they are amazing, look them up). They were how I knew about the fantastic voice of Maarleveld.

Anyway, what a great story. In times when Nazi-occupied France is a very popular genre, it's nice to get a little different perspective. And listening to it was a great refresher in French – for the most part, I still got it! The author's crave-worthy descriptions of Burgundy are enough to make me want to run out to the nearest wine store.

With a wine lesson, history lesson, and love story all mixed into one, Mah did a great job at keeping the story interesting, believable and not the least bit cheesy. It's always a good sign when I sit in my car in the garage to finish a chapter. Really an unexpected treat!

* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment